Monday, June 23, 2008

Enchilada Sauce

Again, this is another process-based recipe. The ingredients, and their proportions, are much less important.

3 - 5 TBSP Vegetable oil
3 TBSP Flour
2 Garlic Gloves, minced
1/2 onion, minced
2 cans tomato sauce
1 C chicken brother
1 C (or more) water (you can also use chicken broth for this, too)

Seriously, don't measure this
1 TBSP Chili powder
1 tsp Comino
.5 tsp oregano
.5 tsp kosher salt (salt to taste from there)
pepper

Required part:
1. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet
2. Add flour. Let the flour brown up. You should have a nice, dark paste. When that paste starts to smell almondy, it's done.
3. Add tomato sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes

My departure from my mother
My mom does the while process in the skillet. I don't. Instead, I take the above mixture and:

4. Add mixture to a crock pot. Add in all other ingredients. Stir occasionally. Cook for at least 3 hours. 

When ready to use
Dip the corn tortilla in hot oil (yeah, you're frying it. People don't eat Mexican food because it's healthy), or heat it in the microwave. Then immediately dip it in the enchilada sauce. Then roll up your enchilada. 

Variations
I don't think there are many things you could put in the sauce that would actually ruin it. First, I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as "too many onions." Also, I usually drop some extra garlic in. Finally, sprinkle a dash of cinnamon in for good luck.

No comments: